Punch Needle Fabric
Punch needle fabric to equip crafters and rug makers with quality foundation cloth
Fabrics for Punching
Which type of Punch Needle Fabric to choose?
Punching fabrics are an essential ingredient for all craft makers. Did you know different punch needles can require different fabrics and yarns. The type of punch needle project you undertake can also decide which fabric you should use. In general, tighter weave fabrics are suitable for finer needles, looser weave fabrics are suited to regular needles. At WildWoolWay, I offer three types of foundation cloths that I love to work with. Choose between Irish Wool fabric from Donegal, Monks Cloth from the US and a Linen mix from Germany to get started with punching!
Irish wool fabric can be punched with the Fine Oxford Punch needle, the Lavor “mini” and Lavor 4mm.
Monks cloth is durable and the most forgiving of all fabrics. All punch needles I supply work well with monks cloth.
Linen mix fabric suitable for the fine punch needles (Fine Oxford Punch Needles #14,#10 and Lavor “mini” and 4mm Lavor adjustable punch needle.
Some experience required
Wool fabric for Punch Needle
100% wool fabric with a tight weave. These limited edition fabrics are woven in Donegal, where the design team are inspired from the ever changing landscape of beautiful Donegal, from peaty bogs to rugged coastlines. Punching into wool fabric can be tricky but creates a beautiful affect.
- Due to its tighter weave wool fabric is best suited to Fine Punch Needles.
- Choose from a range of colours inspired by the Irish landscape.
- Suited to projects where you would like to keep the background fabric exposed, punching a motif/smaller design e.g. on a cushion.
- Sold in 20×20” squares, perfect for completing the front of a 16”x16” cushion.
- Not suitable for frogging (ripping out)
Suitable for everyone
Monks Cloth for Punch Needle
100% cotton fabric suitable for all types of punch needles I supply. The most forgiving of all fabrics, monks cloth is great for beginners as it can withstand many frogging sessions (ripping out your work and redoing).
Monks cloth is the main type of fabric used in punch needle. It is woven with a double strand of cotton, has 12 to 14 holes per inch creating a very strong, durable and flexible fabric. It has a looser weave than the wool fabric and can withstand the punching action of the punch needle.
Monks cloth is beige in colour and had a horizontal white line every 2” which can be handy in designing your project.
- Sold in 1/4, 1/2, and full yard pieces
- Beige in colour
- 12 to 14 holes per inch
- Woven in the US
- White guidelines every 2 inches.
- Prone to fraying at the edges, serge the edge, do a running stitch or pop on masking tape to prevent the material fraying.
Suitable for everyone
Linen mix for Punch Needle
Linen viscose mix tighter weave suitable for Fine punch needles.
Not as forgiving as the monks cloth, punching with this linen viscose mix is similar to the wool fabric. Suitable for when you want to punch a motif / small design and leave the background material exposed.
Linen normally has an uneven weave but this linen mix the weave is pretty even. A neutral colour creates a lovely background for your punching to really shine.
- Sold by the metre and half metre
- Neutral cream colour
- use with fine punch needles- Fine Oxford Punch Needle, 4mm and Lavor “mini”